Is your English good enough to emigrate from South Africa?

While many South Africans may be able to communicate in and speak the English language on a daily basis, you will still have to undergo a strict test when emigrating to a country such as the UK.

According to immigration consultants Breytenbachs, people applying for certain UK visas, including the ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’ or ‘British Citizenship’, have to fulfill an English Language Requirement.

“Persons from majority English speaking countries do not have to undertake the separate English test,” it said.

These include countries such as Australia, Canada and New Zealand – but notably, South Africa is not included.

A secondary option is if you have obtained a degree from a UK educational institution, you will automatically fulfill the English Language requirement, Breytenbachs said.

“If you have obtained your degree from another country, and it was taught in English, you can still qualify. In such a case, you will have to go through a NARIC process, to prove that the degree is equivalent or at a higher standard than a UK bachelor’s degree. You will also have to provide evidence that the degree was taught in English.”

The final option is to pass an English Speaking and Listening qualification with an approved provider.

“Note, however, that the different UK visa applications require different levels of English test and all need to be through a Home Office approved provider,” Breytenbachs said.

“The Home Office provides a list of approved English Language tests.  This list is updated from time to time. It is best to always check with your BIC consultant that you are taking an approved English test, at the level required for the immigration route you will be applying for.

“If an English language test is not on the approved list, the Home Office will not accept it,” it said.

Read: The world’s best and worst nationalities in 2018 – including South Africa

Must Read

Partner Content

Show comments

Trending Now

Follow Us

Is your English good enough to emigrate from South Africa?